Thursday, February 11, 2010

Boooooom Time

Its been a while since I last blogged so here it goes (if i can still remember how to do it)

Its been really busy the last couple of weeks with all the hype about the worlds coming to town! Alex and I are both right in the middle of our preparations for the event, and have been using every opportunity to get out on the water! However when the wind hasn't been playing along, then we ended up doing hours and hours of boat work, and making everything on our boat bullet proof and sexy for the worlds.

I got my new rig up a couple of days ago, with the North V8 Sail, my Southern Spars Standard Mast, My Southern Spars Boom and my EC6 carbon shrouds, forestay and backstay. It is safe to say that the boat looks really sexy now, with my new Wild Wadi branded sail and hull. Wild Wadi are the only Arabic Themed Water park in the middle East and it is a must for those of you coming over for the worlds to do on the lay day! I can ensure you will be gobsmacked! (http://www.jumeirah.com/en/Hotels-and-Resorts/Wild-Wadi/)

I found that the EC6 shrouds and backstay look really good and are really stiff, however they aren't the most user friendly when doing boat work, as when you walk into them, they leave bruises and cuts on your skin! (note to self; don't walk into EC6 Carbon!)

My new tramps are on, and I have been tightening them on a daily basis in order to get them solid for the worlds. Because you are suppose to soak them before tightening, it has been quiet useful that the sprinklers on the rigging area go off at 5:15 precisely and I can time it to see when I should soak the boat!

Bladerider have been holding back on any media releases lately to what is going on with them, making it extremely hard to get new boat parts when they break! but Gareth did manage to get in touch with them, and is now ordering bulk for all the Moth sailors over here to have spare parts, I requested nearly every single part, because who knows what will happen with Bladerider's Spare Parts availability!

Went out sailing last Sunday in about 20 knots and big seas! My boat did not last it, as my pushrod bent out, and I Had to low ride back in and de-rig as I did not have any spares! Alex came after school finished and we quickly rigged one of the Puma boats and took it for a sail to 'the Island' where there is flat water Ideal for some speed stuff! I had my Speedpuck with me, and it should be interesting to see the results when I play it onto my computer!
Only downside from that training session was on the way in, just before getting to the beach, I decided to send it one last time to get max speed out of the thing, but that didn't end so good for me, probably the worst pitchpole I ever had because I was still stuck in the Toe Straps when my momentum got carried forward and legs bent right round the shrouds! not good! but luckily they weren't the EC6, else wise I don't think I would be blogging now!

Not only have I been training on the water, but I have also cross trained in many other aspects; such as doing running and cycling for some Cardiovascular Endurance, doing the cycling for also muscular endurance (hiking), swimming to get my upper body strength up to scratch, and eating healthy to flush out all the junk food I have recently had! last thin I want is to be sick for the worlds!

Chris and Glenn have got their new Mach 2's up and running, and I must say I am amazed, they have got some great pace and height up wind and from my point of view, will occupy all the top 10 spots!

Which leads me to my form guide...out of the 43 boats entered...
It is in no particular order, but just the top ten!

Simon Savage
Simon Payne
Arnaud Psarofaghis
Bora Gulari
Chris Graham
Glenn Raphael
Amac
Dalton Bergen
Rob Gough
Adam May

Looks like most of the top guns from the Gorge are in there, so it should be a good event, and if anything a big learning step to see what it is like sailing in such a big moth fleet!

This weekend is going to be full program again, not sailing for me today though, I have to film my Media Coursework Trailer on Friday, but then I will be out on the water all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday which will hopefully be an intense training marathon!

See you in Dubai!

No comments:

Post a Comment